Carlos Sainz signs new multi-year Williams contract to complete 2027 F1 driver line-up

A new deal keeps the Spaniard at Grove beyond this season as he backs James Vowles’ long-term vision despite Williams’ challenging 2026 campaign.

Ben Bush

By Ben Bush
Published on August 19, 2026

Report an Error
Carlos Sainz Williams F1 Driver
Sainz joined Williams at the beginning of the 2025 season following his departure from Ferrari, where he lost his seat to Lewis Hamilton.

Carlos Sainz has committed his future to Williams by signing a new multi-year contract, completing the team’s driver line-up for the 2027 Formula 1 season alongside Alex Albon.

The announcement comes just one day after Williams confirmed that Albon had agreed a one-year extension to remain with the Grove-based team until the end of 2027.

Sainz joined Williams at the beginning of the 2025 season following his departure from Ferrari, where he lost his seat to Lewis Hamilton.

Although the move took the Spaniard away from a team regularly competing for victories, his first campaign with Williams proved encouraging. Sainz secured two Grand Prix podiums as the team made significant progress and climbed to fifth place in the Teams’ Championship.

Williams entered the new regulatory era hoping to build on that momentum, but the 2026 season has so far proved considerably more difficult.

Despite those struggles, Sainz has chosen to commit to the team’s long-term project and will remain with Williams beyond the end of his existing deal.

“I’m thrilled to announce my continued journey with the Atlassian Williams F1 Team family,” Sainz said.

“I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background.

“We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team.”

Sainz’s decision means Williams now have both of their drivers confirmed for 2027, providing stability as the team attempts to recover from its disappointing 2026 campaign.

When Sainz initially joined Williams, he had several options available following the confirmation that Hamilton would replace him at Ferrari.

The Spaniard ultimately turned down opportunities elsewhere on the Formula 1 grid in favour of Williams, with team principal James Vowles’ long-term vision for rebuilding the historic team playing a major role in his decision.

Despite the setbacks experienced this season, Sainz’s new agreement demonstrates that he continues to have confidence in that project.

Vowles praised the 31-year-old’s contribution both on and off the track and believes his experience and commitment are important components of Williams’ efforts to return to the front of Formula 1.

“From the moment he joined, Carlos’ talent behind the steering wheel and dedication back at the factory have been extremely valuable for this project – working day in, day out with his engineers to find every millisecond,” Vowles said.

“He is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it. It’s not just his racecraft and speed that stand out, but the work he does behind the scenes in the pursuit of high performance.

“Carlos shares the belief and ambition we have at Atlassian Williams F1 Team and is pushing every day to deliver it. Along with Alex, I truly believe we have one of the strongest line-ups on the grid, and a team capable of fighting for every ounce of performance together.”

Sainz has not hidden his disappointment with Williams’ performance during the opening half of the 2026 campaign.

After helping the team finish fifth in the championship last year, expectations had been raised that Williams could take another step forward following the introduction of Formula 1’s new regulations.

Instead, the team has struggled to consistently compete for points.

Sainz has scored six points so far this season, with ninth-place finishes in China, Miami and Canada representing his best results during the opening rounds.

Those results are a significant contrast to his first year with Williams, when he twice reached the Grand Prix podium and helped establish the team as one of the major improvers on the grid.

Attention will now turn towards whether Williams can begin reversing its fortunes during the second half of the season.

The team is preparing to introduce its next significant upgrade package at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, with hopes that the new components can improve the car’s competitiveness and put Sainz and Albon in a stronger position to regularly challenge for top-10 finishes.

Progress with those upgrades could also provide an important indication of Williams’ prospects heading into 2027.

Sainz’s decision to sign a multi-year agreement gives the team additional stability beyond next season and represents another vote of confidence in Vowles’ rebuilding programme.

It follows Albon’s decision to extend his own stay despite Williams’ difficulties during the current campaign.

Together, Sainz and Albon provide Williams with an experienced driver pairing as the team continues its attempt to return to the competitive end of the Formula 1 grid.

Both have now committed themselves to the project for 2027, removing the uncertainty that had surrounded Williams’ future driver line-up.

For Sainz, the new agreement represents a continuation of the journey he began after leaving Ferrari and choosing Williams over several alternative opportunities.

For Williams, securing both drivers ensures continuity as the team focuses on improving its troublesome 2026 car and laying stronger foundations for next season and beyond.

With its 2027 driver line-up now settled, Williams can turn its attention towards improving results on track and delivering the progress that both Sainz and Albon believe remains possible.

Seen in:

Ben Bush

Staff Writer

Ben Bush

Ben is a staff writer specialising in F1 from the 1990s to the modern era. Ben has been following Formula 1 since 1986 and is an avid researcher who loves understanding the technology that makes it one of the most exciting motorsport on the planet. He listens to podcasts about F1 on a daily basis, and enjoys reading books from the inspirational Adrian Newey to former F1 drivers.